Unpack and kick back - forget complicated holidays. Whatever time of the year it is, there is always plenty to see and do. With an ideal climate year-round you are spoilt for choice, from action packed adventures to time to chill out with the family you decide on the pace.
Walks and parks - Port Macquarie is a walker’s paradise with so much stunning nature to explore on foot.
- Tourism Australia rated Port Macquarie’s 9km Coastal Walk from Town to Lighthouse Beach, as one of the country’s top four spectacular coastal walks.
- At Sea Acres Rainforest Centre enjoy the tranquillity along the 1.3km elevated rainforest loop walk and visit the Spirit of the Land exhibition
- Walk the Rainforest Loop around the top of North Brother Mountain in the Dooragan National Park for 360-degree views and a picnic in the clouds.
- Near Wauchope Old Bottlebutt is the largest Red Bloodwood tree in the southern hemisphere, 16-metres wide, and access is now easy along a 600-metre walk in the Burrawan State Forest.
- Close-by at Bago Vineyards & Maze there is a 1000 metre hedge maze where along the pathways there are musical instruments and other hidden delights, drop into their chocolate shop too and do a tasting while you're there!
Animal encounters – there are plenty of ways to get up close and personal with animals.
- Billabong Zoo has an exciting Africa Exhibit with lion cubs and cheetahs, plus a Jurassic Pond exhibit is home to a 4.6 metre monster croc called Shrek. There are shows and feeding times all day.
- Out at lovely Cassegrain Winery you'll find the Port Macquarie Horseriding Centre where you can take a ride through the vines, or have a lesson in the sand arena.
- Every day at 3pm the Koala Hospital offers a free Feed, Walk and Talk tour to learn about the sick and injured koalas at this unique, volunteer run attraction.
- At heritage theme park Timbertown there are farmyard animals, Clydesdale horses and bullock demonstrations.
- If you love a sense of adventure take a Camel Ride along Lighthouse Beach for a 30-minute gentle safari
Waterways – take it up a notch with a raft of other waterway experiences.
- Hire a BBQ Boat from Dunbogan Boatshed - gather the family, grab the fishing rods and relax on board a special BBQ boat while drifting down the Camden Haven River, no license is required.
- Head to Swans Crossing and float down Upsalls Creek on an air bed or boogie board. The creek gurgles along and is clean, clear and cool. There are plenty of rocks for the kids to explore and clamber over, guaranteed to tucker the kids out so they sleep well that night!
- Float down the Hastings River and learn about the natural environment on an eco-cruise or roar along at 100km/hr on the fastest boat in NSW. Head to Town Wharf and pick your tempo with Port Jet Cruise Adventures
Eating out - with a smorgasbord of eateries around the region, many are child-friendly, here are a few favourites to get you started.
- A unique lunch spot is Café Red at Ricardoes Tomatoes and you can pick your own strawberries and tomatoes afterwards to take home.
- Tucked away at the end of Clarence Street near the river you'll find LV's on Clarence. A casual family friendly cafe where Chef Todd Richardson is passionate about using fresh seasonal local produce and an innovative menu with something for everyone.
- If you are looking for peace and quiet with a beautiful lake view and delicious food, Abundance Lifestyle and Garden is a cafe and garden centre only 15 minutes from Port's CBD.
- Life is short - lick the bowl! A fun and delicious philosophy of Miss Nellie's Cafe where country hospitality and scrumptious homemade treats are served in a quaint setting in Kendall.
Adventure – for some heart-stopping fun there is plenty of action to be found.
- Test your balance, coordination and endurance on a challenging indoor Rock Climb, grab a state of the art laser vest and enter the Dark Zone, a double storey labyrinth for adrenalin pumping skirmish action in the Centre of Gravity Indoor Rock Climbing
- We have five Skate Parks throughout the region each one offering exciting challenges and surfaces to try out
- Take to the sky from the Hastings River with Port Macquarie Seaplanes and view our coastline from above, or jump on board Port Macquarie Helicopters for a thrilling ride out to Stoney Aqua Park to test your ninja skills on the inflatable water obstacle course.